Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Corridor & Statewide Resources
- NAMI provides resources for people with disabilites and their families.
- Arc of East Central Iowa delivers high quality programs that produce results. More importantly, they improve the quality of life for individuals and families affected by mental retardation, epilepsy, autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, ADHD, and brain injury.
- Four Oaks Family Centered Services non-profit child welfare, juvenile justice, and behavioral health agency founded in 1973 and headquartered in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, offers services to children and families in all 99 Iowa counties. Also offering holistic prevention, intervention, and treatment programs and services.
- Goodwill Industries of the Heartland is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to advance the social and economic well-being of people who experience barriers to independence.
- HACAP Hawkeye Community Action Program promotes economic and emotional strength toward a goal of self-sufficiency for the disadvantaged people in our communities with forums, trainings, and conferences.
- Iowa Commission of Persons with Disabilities exists to promote the employment of Iowans with disabilities and reduce barriers to employment by providing information, referral, assessment and guidance, training, and negotiation services to employers and citizens with disabilities.
- Iowa COMPASS is Iowa’s free, statewide information and referral service for people with disabilities, their families, service providers, and other members of the community. They maintain information on approximately 5,000 local, state, and national agencies and programs.
- Iowa Department for the Blind offers the specialized, integrated services that blind and severely visually impaired Iowans that need to live independently and work competitively.
- Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Service- Cedar Rapids, (319) 294-9308
- Learning Disabilities Association of Iowa identifies causes and promotes prevention of learning disabilities and to enhancing the quality of life for all individuals with learning disabilities and their families by:Encouraging effective identification and intervention, fostering research, and protecting the rights of individuals with learning disabilities under the law.
- Mom’s of Children with Disabilities St.Marks United Methodist Church
- OASIS-ARC of ECI provides middle and high school age children enriching activities within a structured setting. The program addresses support needs for teenagers who have developmental disabilities.
- Options of Linn County employ more than 350 individuals, and are the only county operated employment agency for people with disabilities in Iowa.
- REM IOWA offers adults, children, young people and their families innovative, quality services and supports that lead to growth and independence, regardless of the physical, intellectual or behavioral challenges they face.
- Roll-Out Accessible Taxi- Century Cab
- Supported Community Living -Goodwill Industries of Heartland offers trainings in money management, using the bus, what to do in an emergency, assistance with organizing your living space, how to find medical care, help with shopping and cooking for your dietary needs, help in scheduling and attending appointments, identifying recreational activities.
National Disability Resources
- Brain Injury Association of Iowa is an information and support system created to begin meeting the needs of Iowa families experiencing brain injury and the providers that assist them. These include local support groups, a peer-to-peer mentor program called the Iowa Brain Injury Support Network, and a professional support program called Neuro-Resource Facilitation.
- Social Security and Disability Resource Center provides information on the federal disability benefit programs, SSD (social security disability, mandated under title II of the social security act) and SSI (supplemental security income, mandated under title 16), in addition to answering questions about social security retirement benefits and providing resource links on topics such as medicare.
indicates Diversity Focus Sponsor Organization
indicates a rich resource of many other links.